Monday, January 26, 2015

Long Day's Journey Into Night: Gabe Beutel-Gunn

Hello all, Threepenny Theatre Company is back in the month of February, presenting Eugene O'Neill's great American family tragedy, Long Day's Journey into Night, running February 6th through February 22nd at TheatreWorks. As always, the show is set-you-own-admission with a suggested price of $15 dollars.

Once again it is time to meet the cast, starting with a familiar face for Threepenny. He was our Malcolm in Threepenny's production of Macbeth, so let's say hi to Gabe Beutel-Gunn.

Gabe - Edmund Tyrone


Hey Gabe. So, how long have you been in Memphis?

I've been in Memphis, let's see... it was June of 2013, I think? No, wait, it was July of 2013, so, about a year and a half. I came directly from Chicago. I went to college at Loyola University in Chicago. I studied theatre there. Bu before that, I was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan.

What are some of your favorite past roles?

Favorite past roles? Lots of them. There are very few that haven't been favorites. I was Benedick and then I was Caliban with Bikini Shakespeare in Chicago. Those were the two most recent things I did before I left Chicago. Since coming to Memphis, I've done a lot of good roles. I really liked Danny in The Submission on the Next Stage at Theatre Memphis, and then I just did Kipps in The Woman in Black with New Moon Theatre, which was a lot of fun. Malcolm in Macbeth with you guys. I could go on and on.

How did you find out about Threepenny?

When I auditioned for Macbeth, I didn't know anybody. I read about the auditions somewhere and went. When I got to the auditions everyone seemed to know everyone and I didn't know anyone, and I sort of felt like the outsider, but once I was cast and rehearsal began, I got to know everyone really quickly.

What are your thoughts on Long Day's Journey Into Night?

It's an amazing, amazing play. Truly a masterpiece of a master artist, or a writer, playwright, author, whatever term you want to use. It's so real and so powerful that I think that almost any family can relate to what goes on with the Tyrones in this play. It's so well done, and I think that Matt has put together a great cast. I love working with everyone. I can't wait. I can't wait for people to see it.

You play the baby boy of the Tyrone family?

*Laughs* Yeah, well it's fitting, because I was the younger of two brothers in real life, and I think Dylan was the older of two brothers? So it kind of works the way we are fit. So yeah, a lot of people consider me to be the baby of the family, even though the character is about as old as I am. The Tyrone family has sort of put all their hopes on Edmund in many ways, and Edmund is the only one who hasn't gone off the deep end, yet. So I think there's a lot of pressure on the character, at least that's how Edmund feels.

How is it working with your cast mates? 

It's fantastic. Matt has put together an amazing cast. Dylan and I worked together very closely in Macbeth  and so we are keeping that rapport going. This is my first time working with Christina and Bill and they are both very good actors. They give me a lot to work with when I'm doing a scene with them. It's a lot of fun.

Long Day's Journey Into Night is a very dark play, darker than a lot of shows Memphis audiences are used to. What do you think are the merits of putting on a show like this?

Because it's so good! It is dark material, but I think people need to see it. It can hold up a mirror to your own life. You can see the way this family might be struggling with the very same things you are struggling with in your family. The way the Tyrones handle conflict can allow you to reflect on the way you handle things in your own life.

It's just such a good play, and I think that people in Memphis should see that they can handle theatre like this, and it can be really productive.

Any last words to the audience coming to see Long Day's Journey Into Night?

Get ready for a powerhouse of a play.


Thank you Gabe. Check into tomorrow when we check in with an old friend.







No comments:

Post a Comment